But at some point, I realized that there's a process I always return to. If I trust the process, the notes will find their way to me eventually.
The process goes like this:
- Write a decent beginning. (This is the easy part.)
- Play the decent beginning and improvise what comes after.
- Repeat the previous step many times
- When I stumble upon something promising just after the decent beginning, follow up and develop it.
- When I stumble upon something promising at the end, follow up and develop it.
- Steer what comes before the ending toward the ending.
- Keep going until the beginning and end meet in the middle.
Tonight I finished a break for one of my new songs. Recorded it so I won't forget. I am pleased.
And for the first time I wondered: Is this process universal? Or do other songwriters do breaks differently?