Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Channeling my evil twin

A few weeks ago I gave one of my older songs a chorusectomy and added a new ending. I posted about the results, complaining that we would need a second singer for the substituted material to work. Fellow songstress Jannie Funstser posted a potential solution in comments: play the other singer's line on my keyboard.

My initial reaction:

Bah. That wouldn't be nearly as good as what I wanted.

On second thought:

I suppose I shouldn't be closedminded. It'll probably sound cheeseball and stupid, but I should at least try it before ruling it out.

After playing around with the idea on the keyboard:

Y'know, if I do a keyboard-appropriate variation on the melody I wanted for the singer, this actually ... works.

Getting the new part together took a couple weeks. I played it for Ron the Drummer for the first time at tonight's rehearsal. Ever enthusiastic about making songs shorter, Ron gave it a thumbs up.

Thanks, Jannie. Nothing like a little virtual collaboration to open one's mind.

4 comments:

Fireblossom said...

The Funster is full of loads of ideas and suggestions. ;-)

Jannie Funster said...

Ahhhhh, who knew?? Once in a while, the old grey matter kicks in a bit.

Chorus-ectomy. Arrrrg, the story of my life these days. Still, I must remain strong and positive that it WILL happen. When I least expect it, probably!

DeppityBob said...

Less work, better result. I don't see a downside here. :)

cinderkeys said...

Good luck with your chorusectomies, Jannie. I know you'll prevail.

Less work? Well, no. I still had to craft the melodic piano part, and then practice it. (Easy to play on its own, more challenging to play while singing. :) )