Now Hugh is opening the nomination up to friends of people with the business or cause. The catch is that the friends can't have a stake in the outcome.
So, if you do NOT have ME/CFS yourself, please go to gapingvoid.tumblr.com/submit and nominate ME/CFS. If you need help articulating the reasons it should win, here are a few bullet points for inspiration:
- ME/CFS causes chronic pain, crushing exhaustion, early death, and a host of other misery-inducing symptoms. There is no cure.
- Despite the severity of the disease, most people think of "chronic fatigue syndrome" (its more common name) as just above-average tiredness.
- Despite the severity of the disease, it's received less funding than hay fever.
- Much of the little funding ME/CFS has received has gone to research on cognitive behavioral therapy (not terribly useful) and graded exercise therapy (harmful to people who actually have this disease).
- There may be a link between ME/CFS and a retrovirus called XMRV. Two new studies on this were set to be published: one found the link, the other didn't. Both studies were put on hold. The negative paper was published soon after, despite significant flaws. The positive paper is still on hold.