Sunday, June 14, 2015

How to take a compliment

After a short performance tonight, an audience member came up to me and told me she'd enjoyed our set. The rest of the exchange went something like this.

What she said: "You sounded like Alanis Morissette!"

What I said: "Thanks!"

What I wanted to say: "Uh oh. Jagged Little Pill Alanis Morissette, or Alanis Morissette after she decided to start singing in key?"

Score one for knowing when to keep my mouth shut.

(P.S. I bought Jagged Little Pill in in 1995 and quite liked it, but as an artistic type I reserve the right to be neurotic about everything, including nice stuff people say about me.)

2 comments:

DeppityBob said...

When you very first started, you sounded a lot like the JLP Alanis. I don't know what Alanis sounds like now, but I hear her later, on-key stuff. There are some similarities, but not that many to me. I prefer your voice, to be very honest. It's bluesy, seductive, sharp at times, soothing at times. It has an inviting soulfulness I find Alanis's voice to be lacking.

cinderkeys said...

Awww, thanks. :) You're one of the few people who ever had the ... er ... privilege of hearing me before the voice lessons.