Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ain't there one new song that can make me break down and cry?

Aaaaaaaalllllllllll night
She wants the young American
Young American, young American, she wants the youuuung American
I bopped my way through the produce section, appreciating Sunflower's musical selection. "Young Americans" isn't my favorite David Bowie tune, but it's significantly better than the blandness that usually comes out of a grocery store sound system.

"Music was better then," a Boomerish woman said to me, apparently noticing that I was moving to the beat. "They just don't make songs like that anymore."

I nodded and mmmm'd my assent, partially because I agreed with her, partially to be agreeable. Then I remembered something. I am a musician who makes music, not thirty years ago, but right now. As such, it is perhaps not in my best interest to encourage the view that our best days are behind us.

I dug a copy of our CD out of my purse and showed it to her. "We're trying to make music that's just as good."

"Oh! Neat," she said. Then she quickly made her way to some vegetables farther down the aisle.

She probably thought I was going to attempt to sell her the CD. Either that or she didn't want to engage the poor, deluded Gen-X musician whose stuff couldn't possibly be as cool as her generation's music.

No comments: