Thursday, May 22, 2008

Come back to the Firefly, Amber Jade, Amber Jade

Had the iPod on shuffle last night, and one of my favorite songs by Amber Jade came up. Amber was a local musician who played around town and, for a short time, ran an open mic at a now-defunct restaurant called Firefly. She was as relaxed on stage as most of us are sitting on the couch watching TV. I loved watching her and listening to her clear, beautiful voice.

A wave of nostalgia hit for this period of my life, when I held Amber up as a role model, when I had all the time in the world to perform at her open mics, when the path I'd chosen was filled with endless possibilities. Now a lot of those possibilities have come to pass. This makes me feel like I'm on the right track, but most days it also makes life too busy for me to decide at the spur of the moment to go out and see a band.

Amber: I hope you come back to Tucson to play one of these days. If I don't have a gig myself, I promise I will make the time to see you.

No comments: