Friday, May 9, 2008

Missing Persons

Earlier this week I did a long-overdue culling of our mailing list. It's around 30 obsolete e-mail addresses lighter now. I don't know who most of the purged people are; a couple, however, stand out.

Megan Mitcher. The first singer I ever worked with, back before I could sing or even thought I could learn. She had a low, lovely voice and the kind of self-effacing yet utterly cool demeanor that made you want to hang around for as long as she'd let you. I did a search on her name after taking her e-mail off the list. Can't find her. It's like she never existed.

Vanessa Zuber, a Tucson folksinger. I liked all of her songs, but one in particular stuck with me, a heartbreakingly gorgeous tune called "Hands Touching the Sky." I requested it a lot. When I google Vanessa, a bunch of shows from 2001 come up. Nothing current. I can't find the song anywhere either.

I think I've been spoiled by the Internet. I've grown so accustomed to being able to access any piece of information whenever I've got a computer within arm's reach, it surprises me when the people I lose touch with are actually gone.

Megan and Vanessa: If you happen upon this post while idly searching for your own names, drop me a line. I'd love to know how you're doing.

2 comments:

DeppityBob said...

I know what you mean about contacting people. I almost feel offended when people I know drop off the internet radar. "What do you mean, NOT FOUND? Isn't *everyone* 'found" anymore?" The one I am most upset about is that woman, back in 7th grade, I showed her my whatzit and she not only didn't laugh, she kind of touched it (though that was with a pencil, really the eraser part, and she threw away the eraser.) What's up with that?

Megan Mitscher said...

HA! :) Thanks, Susan! :)
I'm touched by your description of me. *Blushing*. You SO TOTALLY ROCK!!!!
Glad to be "found". :) HUGS!
If you're ever up for jamming, I'm THERE! Your music and lyrics made me feel like I could sing anything.
Is it corney to say we made beautiful music together?