Thursday, May 15, 2008

More awareness for everyone

Thanks to everyone who linked back to either the CFIDS Awareness Day post here or "Everybody Knows About Me" on Myspace: I Learned Something Today, Molly.com, RachelCreative, Saving My Sanity, and Songs to a Midnight Sky. If you're interested in learning more about what CFIDS is like from someone who has it, RachelCreative wrote an essay about it for Awareness Day and linked to many others who did the same.

The responses to "Everybody Knows About Me" have been extremely positive. This is ... a relief. Anytime I write a song, I fret about making the lyrics as good as they can be, but the truth is that getting it wrong doesn't generally have substantial consequences. It's just a song, right? Writing about the devastating effects of a widely misunderstood illness I've witnessed but never experienced, that kicks the level of importance up a few dozen notches. Fail to convey some essential piece I was going for, and the song could do more harm than good.

Someone I know who has CFIDS did give EKAM a pass before it saw the light of day. Nevertheless, it's reassuring to get good reactions from people who don't know me personally.

1 comment:

DeppityBob said...

Well, as someone with fibromyalgia who suffers greatly, I am glad to have heard someone who can capture the frustration of it without being pitying, overbearing, or cloying. Your song was excellent, and I told many about it.