Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Owie

Went to the periodontist today for a bit of oral surgery. We were originally going to schedule the appointment for the Monday before last because I wanted the thing done and out of the way. But then it occurred to me to ask:

"Hey, I've got gigs coming Friday and Sunday of that week. Will I be OK to sing?"

The periodontist said it should be fine. His assistant said I might want to put the surgery off 'til after.

Yay assistant. The anesthetic just wore off over here. It's actually not that bad, but of all the things I'd like to do right now, bursting into song is last on the list. And the handy "Instructions Following Surgery" sheet they gave me says it's common for discomfort to increase in three to five days.

Yay also to Ron the Drummer. Someone offered us a gig for the coming Saturday. He prudently turned it down on my behalf.

That's all the news for today. If anyone needs me, I'll be right here, not singing.

3 comments:

DeppityBob said...

Looks like we're simpatico today: I had crown prep done on my left rearmost molar and a filling done on the tooth right next to it. Given that my mouth isn't that wide, the dentist did a lot of stretching, cramming, and bending. Short of it: I am thankful I had vicodin left over from a reworked crown a couple months ago. I don't know what oral surgery you had, and it was probably worse than mine, but you have my sympathy.

cinderkeys said...

Sympathies to you then, too. I didn't have to endure the stretching, cramming, and bending, along with everything else.

The surgery happened because the periodontist thought it likely that I had a fractured root. When he got in there, though, he didn't find a fracture. So he changed the occlusion on one tooth and sewed me up.

I'm not sure, but I wonder if he would've even needed to do the surgery part if he'd known what he would see. I'm glad the surgery ended up being more minor than I thought it would, don't get me wrong. It just seems weird to experience post-op discomfort over something that turned out to be exploratory. :)

Jannie Funster said...

Nice guy, that drummer Ron.