Friday, August 7, 2009

Substance abuse

"Have you decided on dessert?" the waiter asked.

I knew I shouldn't. Cinder Bridge would be performing tomorrow night, and sugar and dairy tend to gunk up your throat. My general rule is to abstain from both for 24 hours before singing in public. But here I was, celebrating a friend's birthday, eating at a nice restaurant for the first time in a good while, and the last item on the menu was screaming my name.

"I'll have the flourless chocolate cake," I said.

The cake arrived, along with banana gelato. I consumed rich, delicious chocolate and guilt in equal measure. When I got through a little over half of it, I stopped and let our waiter box it.

Then came the remorse. Had I really needed dessert that much? Granted, it wasn't all that likely to cause big problems. The 24-hour rule is kind of arbitrary. I still had the rest of the night and a good part of the next day to let the effects pass. But I should've held out, you know, just in case.

Later, when I got home, it occurred to me that my personality is all wrong for the music scene.

How many musicians take the stage liquored up or coked up? How many need a joint or two before they feel relaxed enough to perform? In that context, why worry about half a slice of cake and a tiny bit of ice cream?

My lifestyle is squeaky clean! I deserve chocolate!

This rationalization has been brought to you by the letter Q and the number 9.

* * *

If you happen to be reading this from Tucson, come see us at the aforementioned gig. We'll be playing at the Glass Onion on Friday, Aug. 7, from 7 to 9 p.m. Directions here.

I promise not to have any more chocolate 'til then.

No comments: