Sunday, January 11, 2009

Perks of musicianhood

A few weeks ago at Tucson's semiannual 4th Avenue Street Fair, I happened on an artsy patchwork denim jacket for sale. Price: $150.

The following internal dialogue ensued:
Me: I want it.

Me too: It's too expensive.

Me: So? It's an original design. By an artist. It's like ... art, or something. The price is totally justified.

Me too: It's still too expensive. I'm not the kind of person who blows lots of money on clothes.

Me: Jackets are supposed to cost a lot of money.

Me too: That's heavy winter coats, not light jackets.

Me: I want it.

Me too: I don't need it.

Me: I can bring it to outdoor gigs. I get cold really easily. When the temperature dips below 70, I can wear this instead of a dorky coat.

Me too: Okay.

Fast-forward to last night's gig, a benefit featuring a bunch of bands. To the surprise of all the performers, despite the rapidly dropping temperature, they had us play outside.

Being a bit of a geek, I'm not the best judge of whether I really looked cool in that artsy patchwork denim jacket. But I'm pretty sure it was an improvement over any of my other built-for-functionality coats.

Rationalization vindicated. Being a performing musician is awesome.

No comments: