Friday, September 25, 2009

Chickens and doggies and art ... oh my

Gig Saturday! Gallery 801 is presenting Carolyn Anne Anderson's first solo exhibit, and we're providing some of the music for her opening.

I'm psyched for a couple of reasons. First, we're sharing the stage with Kevin McCalix, a friend of mine. I haven't gotten to hear him play in ages. Second, I want to see the art.


The painting above caught my eye while I perused her press release for the event. It's part of a whole series, “Pollos del Pueblo," featuring chickens that wander around familiar Tucson scenes. I like all the Pollos paintings, but this one particularly made me grin. There's something about the expression on the face of the chicken in the foreground. "Hi. I'm a chicken. Why am I in front of the Rialto? What am I doing here?"

I've had days like that.

Anyhow, the opening reception is Saturday, September 26, from 6 to 9 p.m., at Gallery 801, 801 North Main, Tucson, Arizona. There will be hors d’oeuvres and samplings of award-winning wines. You should go. It will be fun.

6 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

I think it rocks! That chicken in front of the rialto. Very humorous, but nicely executed.

Are you a painter too?

I am so not!

EJ said...

How can we find out about your gigs? I thought I submitted my email to Cider-Bridge, but I didn't receive any notice about this Saturday's gig.

David Powell said...

Love the painting. Does he have an online gallery?

David Powell said...

Oh. Never mind. I'll try clicking on the painting before I ask a question like that again.

David Powell said...

...and I parsed the post wrong, too! I read Kevin McCalix as the artist. More coffee, Dave...else no AM blog comments...

cinderkeys said...

Jannie: I thought you'd appreciate that painting! I was kind of not bad at drawing when I was a kid, but gave up on trying to improve in seventh grade. I'd have to work hard just to get back to where I was when I was 10, I think.

EJ: That's strange. We definitely wouldn't have left you off the list on purpose. Shoot your e-mail address to susan@cinderbridge.com, and I'll add it. (P.S. We're playing at the same place on Sunday, Oct. 4, from around 4:30 to 6.)

Dave: Now that you've found the link, did you catch Chickens at the No-Tel? I go past the No-Tel Motel whenever I ride home from work on my bike, and I love how she got the lettering on the signage exactly right.