Saturday, December 15, 2012

Wedding jam

I've been to a bunch of weddings in my time. None of them were quite like this.

On Wednesday, Kathy Thomas and Doug Davis threw a big wedding/jam session at a Tucson bar called the Boondocks. Like most of their guests, I received my invitation on Facebook. Unsure if I could make it, I asked them how far in advance they needed the RSVP. Kathy said they didn't need a solid head count, so no pressure.

Luckily, I was able to go. After a brief, fairly traditional ceremony, Doug's band Flipside played, with somebody filling in for Doug on drums, and Doug doing the occasional vocal. Flipside was followed by Kathy's new band, tentatively named KT and the Plan B. Doug and Kathy are amazingly talented, as I've mentioned before, so they couldn't have done any better in terms of wedding music.

Next came the jam. They'd provided equipment, so I got to play a few songs with a few other talented folks, and I didn't even have to drag my keyboard along.

Wedding receptions often come with little party favors. They don't usually come with their own backline.

Well done, happy couple. And congratulations!

No comments: